Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day of School Jitters


Today was the first day of preschool for 2009 for the big guy. It was one of those mornings where I was a little worried. Not because I thought we'd be late. Not because I don't like the teachers or the school. Not because I was worried I would cry.
Let me take you back a year to the first day of preschool 2008..."I don't want to go to school. I want you to come with me. No! NO! NOOOOO!!!" This was followed by uncontrollable sobs, grabbing my body parts. Dragging himself down the hallway. He didn't want me to go. In fact he was so unhappy that they actually called me 1/2 way through to come and pick him up. It's not their normal practice but he was crying so hysterically and hyperventilating so loudly that they were worried he'd push some of those kids just teetering on the edge right over it. It took a good two months of constant reassurance "mommy always comes back" for him to finally settle into the routine and be okay.
So I was worried that today would be a repeat performance. Starting last week he reminded me that he would like me to stay with him the whole time. I reminded him that "mommy always comes back."
Last night..."I don't want to go to school. You have to stay in class with me mommy."
This morning...nothing.
No worries. No crying. No insecurity (at least none that he verbalized). Once we got to the school he saw someone from his class last year. We started talking. They walked to their room. We walked to ours. It was a little chaotic in the hallway so I asked him if he'd like to go read a book. He said sure. We read a little bit and then the classroom door open. He walked through the door didn't even say goodbye-I had to ask for a kiss and a hug. No tears. No whining.
The first day of school was a beautiful thing.

No comments: